Today I was trying to look up something. Came across a saying that was appropriate at the time. How accurate they are, I cannot say. I am not a master of the Gaelic language no matter how infatuated I am with it. So, here are the sayings.
1. Is binn béal ina thost – ‘Silence is golden’ or ‘It’s sweet, a mouth in its silence’ (I found this most fitting when the office roar of the office was suddenly a light murmur. Not quite silence, but as close as I could hope for with the hundreds of people on the floor)
2. Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt diog dunta! – ‘An open mouth often catches a closed fist’
3. Is é buille an phinn an buille is fealltaí. – ‘The pen’s blow is the most treacherous.’ (The pen is mightier than the sword.)
4. Is minic cuma aingeal ar an Diabhal féin. – ‘There’s often the look of an angel on the devil himself.’
5. An té nach bhfuil láidir, ní foláir dó bheith glic.- ‘He who is not strong must be clever.’
There you have it. My five random Gaelic sayings. Now if only I could speak the language I would be in heaven. It is a very fascinating language. Enjoy your Friday. Sláinte!